Saturday, July 19, 2008

Featured Poet: Larry Terry

"I am a career Navy Veteran of over 18-years and am originally from a small town of about 70,000 people in Albany Georgia. I joined the Navy because I wanted to make a difference in the lives of others, and to learn different cultures. I come from a very large family of 9-children (5-sisters & 3-brothers). I don't claim to be an accomplished writer, but I write because I do it from the heart. I love sharing my ideas to an audience that can appreciate my points of view. In fact I have written my first novel, entitled "Looking Into The Eyes Of Evil". The freedom of speech is one of the greatest rights we have in the United States, and I think everyone should be heard, because everyone has something to offer." THAT is an OSFR bio. Bra-vo. Also, I want to note that Larry submitted under the nom-de-plume "San Diego Guy," which is also a good name.

LIFE’S JOURNEY

On one very special day, my Mother brought me into this world; She only wished for a healthy baby, no matter if boy or girl. Learning so much from my upbringing, education was in session; I was taught life's twists & turns, I received so many lessons. In no time at all, I quickly sprouted up like a tree; I received the toughest discipline, because I needed to be the best I could be. When I completed my real life schooling, it was time to branch out on my own; I needed to take my life to the next level, I needed to prove I could make it and demonstrate what I was shown. It was no easy voyage, there were lots of bumps in the road; But remembering what I was taught, I took on some heavy loads. There were many many rough days and I may have been down, but I was never out; Figuring out and correcting my mistakes, now that's what it's all about. Never give up and never quit, that is the motto that I live; I may not immediately reach my goals, but my best step forward is what I give. Life is a big journey, and sometimes the trip can be a real drag; But one thing is for certain, I shall never raise the white flag.

THIS IS WHY I WRITE

Writing makes me feel happy and writing makes me feel free; When I pickup a pen and paper, expressing myself is all I like to be. Whether it be an article or a nice poem, when I focus, the words just seem to flow; It's like a time machine, going back in time, I just relax and let the thoughts go. Sometimes I like to write about happy times, but mostly I just like to write; The visions & memories that I write about, simply reminds me that life is alright. I can travel on a fantastic adventure, and I can venture through memory lane; As I visualize about creative journeys, I see a beautiful world that is still untamed. Escaping this crazy world, if even just for a short while; Feelings I haven't seen in a long time, not since I was a child. Oh what a wonderful feeling I have when I write, so many stories to share; It reminds me how good life can be, what others think, I really don't care. When I get lost in my words, I feel like I can conquer the world; Even if you think you can't write, just try it and give it a whirl.

WINTER IS NO FRIEND OF MINE

It's the changing of seasons and here comes the snow;

No more birds are singing, I wonder where they all go.

I miss the butterflies and even the bees;

The grass is turning brown and there are no fruit in the trees.

The days are short and the nights are just too long;

I miss the sunshine, oh I wish the snow was all gone.

Going to miss the wind in my face, can't let my rag top down;

I love car drives, but until Summer, there is no cruising around town.

Oh it's a very frosty morning, I hate putting on gloves;

Wish I could wear my shorts, but I see a snow storm brewing above.

So much for a picnic in the park, I'll have to wait awhile;

Until Spring is in the air, the beaches will be deserted for miles.

Ice cycles on my window panes, the sight alone makes me shiver;

If I don't light up the furnace, a chilly night is what Winter will deliver.

Eggnog may be a good touch, but I rather be sipping on ice tea;

Cold weather doesn't appeal to me, year long summers are for me.

Until it’s Summer again, I will be inside by eight;

Just like the bears, Winter makes me want to hibernate.